First Post

As I was texting my step daughter a few weeks ago about her upcoming move with her mom, we got on a topic that truly melted my heart and made me beam with pride. They were moving to be closer to her moms family and her uncle had offered her a job in his construction business and that she was hoping she could do something hands on. She told me that she wants to learn some carpentry skills and how a house is built because she hopes that having that knowledge will help her someday get into design as a career. I teased her and said that I was “totally blushing right now because I feel like I might have rubbed off on you a little bit with my interests.” She replied back saying that I’m absolutely the reason that she wants to learn those skills, that she loved the way I decorated and that I taught her how awesome it is to be handy and to create what you want for a space. I literally almost cried reading the things she wrote back. We have always had a pretty good relationship but knowing that I helped influence her life aspirations really touched my heart. I told her I would teach her all the things I know, all my little design “tricks” and processes that make a space what I want it to be from start to finish.



After our conversation it got me thinking though, would anyone else really be interested in this? Every time I post a photo of our home on social media I get so much feedback and people even saying things like “please come decorate my house!” And while I would genuinely LOVE to design spaces for people, I know trying to start a business like that in our rural area truly isn’t feasible so I thought, “why not start a blog?” I’ve often tossed around this idea before but I just always felt like there wouldn’t be much interest in it. However, we just bought this house about a year ago and have a lot left to do here so it could serve as a way to document the renovation. While I have already done a bit of work to the main living space here, I’ve taken pictures along the way and there is still more than plenty left on my to-do list. 

So here I am, starting this blog. I hope to share about our home, how I decorate, some DIY and hopefully give you inspiration. We’ll see how it goes 😉

Comments

Popular Posts